Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Next Step

Moving forward is essential in everything we do. I had a teacher in high school, Mr. Hollis that once told me, "Darrell the day you quit learning is the day you are dead". I don't believe he was the first person to say that but he was the first person to tell me that and it stick. I think learning and just growing in general are important for all of us. We should always be trying new things. I believe God has called us to grow closer to him and try new things. It is important that pastor's remember growth is hard and setting people up to win is important. 

I was thinking about this the other day and how hard it must be for someone who has never volunteered in church to take the next step in volunteering. I thought about my years of ministry and how many people have come up to me and said, "Darrell, I feel like God is telling me to start helping in children's ministry". They fill out the applications and background checks are done. As you explain what the position entails you feel the excitement about growing closer to Christ and doing something for the kingdom. Then the first Sunday or Wednesday comes when the new volunteer is supposed to begin. You wake up sick or with a sick kid, get caught out the night before with some friends you haven't seen in a long time and you just can't get up, or you just can't take that next step. I am sure the Devil has no pleasure in anyone volunteering in their church. I believe that first month or two have to be super hard for someone who has never volunteered. You are taking that next step of growth. You are committing to do something that is gonna stretch you. You are committing to Jesus one more thing in your life. 

Look at Jonah, he was called to something he made up in his mind that would be impossible. He turned and went the other way from it. Finally, after he listens to God and does what he is told. He literally saves an entire city from destruction. Many times we think it is to hard to do the thing God has called us to do. We disappear in our churches on Sunday morning. Tell ourselves that the Kid's or youth pastor is to busy to talk about you volunteering right now. We can always come up with excuses and things that keep us from doing whatever it is that God has called us to do. 

I asked a Pastor once about a couple in the church that I had met but didn't know what part of the church they were plugged into. He responded that they were involved, they went to service every week and went to his Bible study on Wednesday nights. I responded with, "But, where are they plugged in?" He said they don't do anything they just attend. They were apart of the church but had not taken a step to volunteer. You will never truly get connected to God or the church until you take the step and volunteer. When you take and give more than just the required service times or even tithe you don't understand the blessings that come with that. 

All that being said, I hope you do something for your church. I hope you do something for Christ. I hope you do something to see people blessed. It almost sounds cliche  to say you will be blessed even more than them. It is true though. God has called everyone to something. God has called all of us to give something. Find that thing. Grow closer through serving. Expect it to be hard at first no matter what. Expect it to stretch you in ways you didn't even expect (even if it sounds easy). Know that you are doing something God wants you to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment