Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Don't Be Holding Out On Me

Monday night, Marge came in and asked for a chocolate shake after dinner. I don't know about everyone else but if Momma wants some dessert I try and make it happen. I got my keys and was walking out the door. She asked me where I was going. I responded, "You told me you wanted a chocolate shake". She just said okay and let me leave. As I was pulling out of the driveway I get a text from her saying "Cooper wants a shake too". I thought okay, no big deal. She was thinking that I am going to run to Sonic and pick up a couple of shakes (Half price shakes after 8:30). I decided to go pick up a half gallon of ice cream and use my old mixer I have at the house and make shakes at home. Brought the stuff home. Pulled out the mixer and put a couple scoops of ice cream and milk in the cup. Turned it on. Got the ice cream smooth. Poured out shakes for everyone (except Scout, she still hates chocolate). Cooper just kept looking at me puzzled though. He was drinking the shake down, but he was looking at me funny for sure. Finally, I asked him what was wrong. He says, "How long have we had that shake maker?" I told him, it was a wedding present that we got when we were married 14 years ago. He turned and said, "Really?" He just walked away in disbelief.

The next morning Cooper got up and was getting ready for school. He turned to Marge and asked, "Did you know Dad had that Shake Maker?" She said yes he used to make them all the time. He shook his head in disbelief. I am sure he was thinking, I can't believe Dad was holding out on me, I love shakes. Tuesday night, he asked for shakes again. I may need to get a job making shakes if he keeps it up. We will see how long this trend continues?

I think we should be like this with God. I know we haven't seen all of God's power. I know we haven't seen all of God's love or grace. I know we haven't seen everything God has to offer. One morning, during one of my Dr. Goodrich classes at Southwestern (college) a girl prayed to start class like every other day. She said something that Dr. Goodrich pointed out and it stuck with me till this day. She prayed, "God help us to see more of you today". Shouldn't this be our prayer everyday? I know none of us have seen all of God. I know it is my desire to see more of him. I want to be like Cooper each day. I want to look to God and say, "hey, quit holding out on me, show me something new". I want to see a little more of his love each day. I want to see a little more of his power each day. I want to see a little more of his grace each day. I want it because I know I haven't seen it all because my God is infinite in every aspect.

I challenge to seek more of God today. Don't just expect the same old stuff either. Ask God for something new today. Ask him for the good stuff, the homemade chocolate shake if you will. I promise you it can only get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment