Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Dog Bite

So, I am blessed to be married to an amazing Mother. She teaches me about parenting and creates a home that is wonderful for raising our children. I don't know if she knows how much I appreciate her, but she is the best.

Well, on Mother's day her one wish for Sunday afternoon was to take a nap, that everyone take a nap. I am always game for a Sunday afternoon nap. Nascar ran on Saturday night. Mavericks are done and the Spurs were waiting to find out who they would play in the next round of the playoffs. So, I told Cooper to let the dog out and then lay down. I proceeded to my room put on some shorts and laid down with my eyes closed. It was the makings of a great Sunday afternoon. 5 minutes into my glorious nap my son enters the room frantic...

"Dad, the dog next door got my shoe!" Cooper came in my room yelling. I got up and thought, what were you doing to ruin my nap. I know you weren't as excited about this nap as I was but you didn't have to throw your shoe in the neighbors back yard. I asked, "well, how did he get your shoe son?" He started to respond, but I think he was in a little bit of shock. I got up walked next door with him and knocked on the neighbor's door. No one was home. This whole time I am coming up with different scenarios in my head that could have caused this to happen. I have flashbacks to the movie "the Sandlot". I just can't fathom how a dog on the other side of a 6 foot tall privacy fence grabs a shoe with your foot in it and jumps back over to his yard without some help from a certain 7 year old living in my house.

We walk to the back yard and I ask Cooper, "Show me exactly how your shoe ended up in their backyard?" He takes me to a section of the fence where there is a whole about 2 inches tall by 5 inches wide. He says, "I put my foot right there and the dog grabbed my foot. He wouldn't let go, so I pulled my foot out of my shoe and he pulled it into his back yard". I pick through the slots in the pickets and can see his muddied shoe. It might as well have been a Babe Ruth baseball because I wasn't going to go get him new shoes because he let the neighbor's dog steel his shoe.

So, just to clarify, I move over by the whole and as I put my foot next to the whole ask him, "You put your foot right heOOOWWWWWWWW!" The dog bit my big toe! Pain immediately shot up my foot. I was in shock because I couldn't believe what had just happened. If anything, I was embarrassed that I did the same thing my son did 5 minutes before. I couldn't decide if I was mad at the dog for biting my toe even though he didn't know what he was biting he was just playing. Maybe I was mad at Cooper for getting that close to the fence to begin with and causing this whole mess. I was supposed to be taking a nap. I was probably just mad at myself for copying the same mistake my son just made except I didn't put shoes on. I am always harping on wear your shoes. I don't even where flip flops very often because "you never know what is going to happen".

I did learn a couple things from all of this. One, listen to your kid so you don't get bit. I should have just cooled off and realized that the space was big enough for the dog's snout. How many times do we as parent get made to look silly because we were so agitated at our kids that we don't either hear the full story or don't believe the full story? Also, just let the dog out myself on days I want to guarantee myself a nap.

Oh yeah, the neighbor's dog has his shots. I think my toe is going to be fine. I haven't started foaming at the mouth or anything like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment