Monday, October 29, 2012

Wondering about the pumpkin patch

Where do they grow pumpkins? We take our kids to pumpkin patches each year. We run around doing games like stuff the scarecrow and blackberry mazes. We may pick a pumpkin out of a pile of pumpkins. Paint it or take it home and carve it into a jack o lantern. I don't think I remember seeing an actual pumpkin grow on a vine. All a pumpkin patch is anymore is a miniature carnival/ amusement park set up in the country for city folk to take a drive to the country.

I did see pumpkin vines. Did you know that when you pick a pumpkin if you let it get to hot then the seeds inside the pumpkin will start sprouting? Brought our overpriced pumpkins home from the pumpkin patch (I actually shouldn't say that I don't know how much my wife spent on the pumpkins. Although, I am sure she spent more than they would have been at HEB) opened the pumpkins up. Low and behold we had an entire harvest of pumpkin vines growing inside one of our pumpkins. Things you just don't know until you see them. 

What is the fascination with hay rides? I have to wonder this. You sit on square bails drive around a field at the break neck speed of 2 mph in ridiculously cold weather. And, why do we find this appealing? I hear people say all the time, "Hayrides are so much fun?" Really?  I love the people yelling at their kids not to fall out or the lack of feeling in my fingers when I am done. Sorry, just ranting a bit. 

I know that I may sound like I am complaining but all in all. A trip to the country to spend the day playing with your kids is a great day. Seeing them fish and run around with friends. Smiling and laughing as they try to rope different poles with animal pictures on them. Hanging out at the pumpkin patch (country six flags) is a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment