Here is a place where I can put down some things in my head. It may be spiritual it might not be. I hope if you read it, you enjoy.
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Parenting In Nature
I saw an article today showing great photographs in the wild. (http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/36760/rare+wildlife+photos+highlight+winning+entries+in+worldwide+contest/ ) Pictures of Lion's up in trees and alligators about to attack. One picture caught my eye as interesting. A picture of a young gazelle running away from four cheetahs. As they were looking on. You can see the fear in the gazelle's eyes. I think I would have the same look on my face if I was running from four cheetahs. As I read about what was happening, I found out that this gazelle was wounded by a mother cheetah. The mother didn't kill it but used this gazelle to teach her cubs, the four in the picture, how to hunt. I was blown away as I thought about the great wisdom in this. The mother cheetah understood her kids would need to be able to hunt for themselves one day. She understood that the best way for them to learn was by doing it. I was amazed at this.
How often do we as parent's let other people teach our kids? How often do we just do stuff because we don't want to worry about it being done right? How often are we just so busy that we just do it for our kids because it takes to long?
The majority of parenting is teaching our kids. I am not saying everyone needs to home school. I love home schoolers but I could never do that. THe people that do that successfully are amazing and have my utmost respect. I am saying we need to be involved in our kid's education and their development and not just the easy areas. It is to easy to encourage our kids to play sports or do well in school. When was the last time you encouraged your kids to read their Bible or pray? When was the last time your kids saw you read your Bible or pray?
I remember as a kid at the beginning of each school year my parents would try and pull us in to pray before school started. It was hard for me and my sisters to take it seriously because it was never something we followed through with consistently. If we are as dedicated to praying with our kids as we are to checking parent portal about their grades how much better would your child's spiritual growth be? If we spent as much time in God's word with our kids as we do throwing a baseball with them how much further along in discipleship would our kids' be?
I am just saying, isn't it awesome how God has given us examples in parenting even in nature?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment