Privilege
I have been praying a lot about the upcoming year. Where do we need to go as a Kid’s Ministry? What stuff should we teach our kids? What do events need to look like? What do our team trainings need to look like? How can we best team with our parents and come alongside them in the faith development process of all our kids? I make all of these questions matters of prayer all the time. I did keep coming back to a topic theme for our team to contemplate for the upcoming year. It is a single word, privilege.
Privilege is a word that has become a dirty word in recent years. It is a word that in many people’s minds shows that people are better than others. It gives people a mindset of superiority. It shows that you have been chosen randomly given an advantage. I don’t believe anything in this world is random. I do believe we are chosen. I do believe we have been given an advantage.
I understand that our kids are privileged just in their daily lives. I don’t know many of our kids that don’t have a good school, a home, transportation, food on the table, and I believe our kids are privileged to know our Father and have parents that bring them to church. They are privileged to be able to have Bibles and study them. Our kids have great privilege outside of the daily life of the things that they are doing. We want to teach them this year that privilege is a terrible thing to waste. They are ahead of the game. They have the ability to cultivate a great testimony. They have the ability to follow Jesus and do great things through the power of the Holy Spirit.
As volunteers, I think we forget many times that we have been given a great privilege in our calling. God has put you in your ministry wherever it may be for such a time as this. He has called you and provided you with the privilege to speak life into kids. Wherever God has called you to be and serve, it is a privilege because you have been asked by the most high God to do it. It’s easy to get caught up in the “week in, week out” busy-ness of doing God’s work. Let’s treat the weekly, the daily, and everything we do like it is a privilege to do it. Get better at it.
It is a privilege to serve alongside so many great leaders. It is a privilege that parents bring their kids and entrust us with them each week to help in that faith development process. I am humbled by that privilege.
I want to take 2019 and live a privileged life. I want to spend time walking alongside families and cheering them on to a privileged life. Let's take time this next year as MercyGate Kids and remember what a privilege it is to do the things God has called us to do.
Awesome, pastor thank you for sharing your heart. I also feel very privileged as are my children. I am so grateful that God has given me a purpose and a place where I love to serve freely. I was sad when our old children's Pastor left but prayed that God would put just the right leader for our children and I believe he has with you, your wife and both of your children you guys have made yourselves part of our family and I look forward to what 2019 has in store for all of us and our church and especially the community.
ReplyDelete