Monday, October 22, 2018

Update October 2018 and a Parenting Thought

I have taken a bit of a hiatus from writing on my blog. Not that I haven't had anything to say or felt the need at times to write. Sometimes, I have written and just didn't finish the post or went to publish and let wisdom kick in that the post probably would have sounded more like venting and not been helpful (I know, when did I get a filter).  Lately, I have felt like I need to get back to writing. Today, I wanted to update folks on what is going on with my family and our ministry.

If you didn't know,  we moved to Mont Belvieu, TX early on in 2018. We are blessed to be family pastors at MercyGate church.  Margaret is working at Barber's Hill ISD where the kids are attending. It is strange because I can see Margaret's school and where her room is from the church, but she gets no service inside and they don't have an open wifi. So, I rarely hear from her between 8 and 5 every day. She is probably more productive that way.

The kids are doing great at the new school this fall. Scout is helping with our after school Bible club and looking for a side job. Cooper has jumped into sports and church like he has always been here. They both are making great grades. Really, we are blessed with great kids.

I am excited to see what God has for our kids. I find myself praying on a daily basis that God would just use me to feed into my kids lives in such a way they can find God's calling on their lives. I want them to reach the potential that God has for them in his purpose. As a kid, that may look like growing in God and learning about leadership and teamwork. Being an example of what the relationship we should have with our Heavenly Father looks like. As at teen, it may look like helping them grow into their gifts or callings.  As an adult, it may look like listening to them talk about what is going on. I want them to love Jesus so much.

A friend once said to me, "I want to be the kind of parent that my kids will be friends with when they are an adult." This has become the second guiding parenting thought for me. If I react to harshly (like a jerk) my kids will see that and move through life thinking I am a jerk. If I let my kids get away with things that I ask them not to do, or ignore the things that I have told them to do but they don't then I come across as someone who is flaky. Neither of which are types of people, I want to hang out with. My friends are not that way.

Just a couple of thoughts with an update on what God is doing in our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment