Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Leadership 101 from God

The other night I went to a "Leadership Tour" event with some of the pastors from our church. I sat and listened as attentively as my ADD would allow (which means I played on my phone some as the speaker spoke). I quickly realized it was going to be an advertisement for a missions project. There is nothing wrong with informing people about missions projects, but not at a leadership tour. It really frustrated me that I came for one thing and got another. I prayed through and the anger was gone. I think my disappointment was because I am always looking for leadership tidbits. Well, I started reading the book of Joshua today. Low and behold, God was giving Joshua a lesson on leadership in the first chapter. Here are some of my thoughts on it.

"Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1: 6-9

This is the word that God gave to Joshua just after Moses died. He was left in charge of a weary group of people, the Hebrew nation. They had been wandering for a generation without a home. He was given the keys to the army and the reins to his people now what was he supposed to do. Well, God told him what to do.

It is a lesson on leadership straight to Joshua. First, be strong and courageous. Often, leaders get placed into situations they are not completely comfortable with and they panic or clam up. They let stuff ride for fear that we may offend someone. They let fear of confrontation override a vision that God has given them. Leaders must remember to stick to the convictions God gave them. Can you imagine if Joshua had said, "we need to wait and not cross the Jordan because some people will think that is disrespectful to Moses"? It would have cost them another generation of wandering.

Then, God told Joshua do the right things according to the law. He wanted him to know, in kid's pastor speak, make good choices. It is a sad commentary that leaders have to be reminded of this, but they are human. Making the right choices or following the law set up by God creates opportunities to be blessed. Generally, if you aren't doing anything stupid then you can't be brought down by something stupid. If you do the right things (i.e. work hard, respect people, etc.) then you will have good things happen. If you don't do stupid stuff on top of doing the right things you can succeed. This isn't just a Biblical truth it is just the way it is. Does this mean you will be rich? No. It does mean you can be successful at whatever you try to do whether it be teaching kids, being a good parent, or being a good spouse.

Then God reminds Joshua how he started. He says be strong and courageous. God is with him. I think we have to remember that in all our decisions as we move forward with anything we do. Be strong and courageous. God gave you this vision now take his people there because he is with you. This was God's lesson on leadership to Joshua. Today, it was God's lesson on leadership to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment