Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pondering after a trip to the park

So, I went to the park with my kids, Scout and Cooper, after I got home from work. It was beautiful outside. The sky was blue about 75 degrees with a slight breeze and kids were playing, really a perfect afternoon after work. I looked around and thought, hey I am the only Dad here". I was astonished by that. I mean it is the twenty-first century. There is numerous research articles about how kids get screwed up when dads blow off their kids. You have one article I read that talks about daughters starting periods later because of better father relationships. (God, I have to make sure Scout and I have a great relationship.) Another one I read said that when a Dad checks homework even periodically the child does better in school. My dad never checked my homework. I know everyone can tell. It is one article after the next article after and still I was the only Dad there at the park today. I know guys have to work. I know we are busy and tired. I understand men are stressed but I spent a total of 45 minutes at the park watching my kids play. I spent time pushing my kids on the swings. I stood underneath them for a spot as they went across the monkey bars. It was fun.

I know many dad's will say, "Hey I spend time with my kids. I coach her team or take him to karate". Do we really take time and spend with them in environments where it is fun and no one is pressured? Create those. Today, it was special for so many reasons. The main was just cause I got to hang out with my 2 favorite kids. Hey, and I know a lot of kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment