I think as a parent and a leader, you have to find wins in the small things. (insert appropriate short joke here.) Small things turn into Big Things. It wasn't that Scout didn't have friends when we lived in SanAntonio. She had great friends that will probably remain her friends throughout her life. She is a kid who makes good grades but when we would ask about a bad grade her teachers would say she is fine it is just one bad grade. Well, what caused that one bad grade? I am concerned about the small things. Because small things turn into big things. When I asked her who she hung out with at school, it was usually one or two kids that I never met. When we asked her if she wanted to have kids over she would say no. She just always blended in. We saw kids reaching out to her as a win. She is doing great at her new school. I still don't see her as a socialite but she is making friends. We can celebrate that.
The other thing is we need to stick to the plan. In our first couple of weeks at school Coop was testing us and out teachers trying to figure out this new school thing. Let's just say, he lost some privileges. I will be honest, I thought maybe this Christian School thing is not the best idea. I am just saying, I was reminded by this little thing, "Stick to the Plan". As a parent or a leader, you will go through rough stretches but if you make a plan and it makes sense, don't let small bumps get you off of what you know is the right thing to do. I talked with his teacher this week, and she said he has gotten his act together. Scout is making friends and Coop is doing well. We just have to stick to the plan.
Celebrate the small things and stick to the plan. When you do those things in your life you will find success in leadership and parenting. It is not going to always be easy but you can get it done.
No comments:
Post a Comment