Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Rugby, Crossfit, and Church

I have been taking measures over the last few months to get fit and knock a couple things off my bucket list. I figure I need to get started with some of that stuff. During this process, I have noticed some things in comparison to the church. 

So, in August I joined a rugby club. I have a friend, Levy, who is ridiculously good at the sport and has played all his life. He has been wanting me to come try it out since I have met him. In August, they have a touch tournament. I figured what could it hurt? It is touch. I went and ran with the guys. We had fun. They had a tournament going on for kids too. I signed Cooper up. He loved it. One night, we got in the car to come home and he looks at me and says, "Dad, apparently I am a natural at this (rugby) thing." The guys working with the kids were so uplifting that he was hooked. He was disappointed that there is no rugby league around here for him to keep playing during the year. The last night of the tournament they had a big cookout at the field and these people sat around and hung out. They shared their lives together. I used to wonder about the world outside of the church. Especially in a post Christian society like we have now. Where do you find people outside of work to create those relationships with? Well in this case, a rugby team. They made everyone there feel at home. It was so welcoming. I pray people see our church as welcoming as I did this rugby team. 

Then, sometime in September, Margaret and I started getting up bright and early (scratch that just early because there is nothing bright about it) and going to a crossfit class at 5am.  This was amazing for so many reasons mainly my wife who hates to sweat is really enjoying it. I am so stinking proud of her. It has been a great small group of people who show they care. They hold each other accountable in fitness. You don't want to miss because the people in your class are looking for you to be there. They text you and make sure you are okay if you miss. They show they care. I was sick this morning and the coach was even asking Margaret about me. He has shown time and again he truly cares about the people showing up to his box (that's a crossfit term for gym). I hope as a pastor, the people coming into my ministry see that I care the same way about there spiritual well being as Julian does for their physical well being. 

You see church is supposed to be a place to worship, but it is also supposed to be a place where we take care of each other. Throughout the growth of the early church you read about the early church breaking bread and caring for one another. This is a vital part of who the church is. I believe we have lost that feeling in many avenues. When was the last time you encouraged someone at church? When was the last time you called to check up on someone when they missed? When was the last time you asked someone if they were going to be at church? Do you take guests and ask them to sit with you? Has your church become a place where you show up and go home or is it a place where you really truly get to know the people in it the God intended us to? Our churches have to be a place where people connect to other people as well as God in order for them to survive. It can't be a place that is only apart of our lives for a couple of hours on Sunday and Wednesday. Love the people at your church or find another church. People want to be connected at church. They really do. 

I am going to continue playing rugby and going to crossfit. It is more than just the fitness now. It is the relationships I am creating in both places. Is your church about relationships? That's what the world needs, a church that is about relationships. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. Definitely has me thinking about making changes in a few areas...

    ReplyDelete