Monday, October 24, 2011

Growing Up Pentecostal

Yesterday evening, I was leaving church with my family and bunch of our friends. We were talking about everyone's experiences at church that day. I was talking about how great Kid's church was. Talking about the plan for our Christmas production this year. A couple of the folks were talking about their experience in care cell that evening. Evidently they were asked to pray for the people next to them. A few of the spouses found it difficult to pray for their wives and really kind of said some awkward things. It was a funny story and everyone was cutting up about it. Someone asked me what I would pray for my wife? I looked at her standing there and said I would just start praying in tongues for her. Everyone kind of chuckled and laughed. I then proceeded to say, "you know it is like 'who stole the key to my honda' really fast". The lady who was telling the initial story came up to Margaret a little later and told her that from now on she will be skeptical any time she hears someone speak in tongues. I felt like a heal. The fact is growing up Pentecostal has made me some times take the Baptism in the Holy Spirit for granted.

I even know as a teenager we would listen to different church peoples prayers and mimic their cadences when talking about a church service. As a Bible college student when one of my friends would take a girl out. We would pick at him and ask if he spoke in tongues on his date. I will let you figure out what we were talking about. I can think of tons of different example of things where in our daily life we joked about something we believe so strongly in. Why would we do this? Why do I do this? I don't have a great reason other than I grew up Pentecostal.

I don't think what I did was right or wrong but many of us have thought about it. We have questioned not the Holy Spirit but the Holy Spirit's work in someone's life. Be honest. I know I need to repent from judging. Okay. Done. I always found it funny when in high school or even as a pastor when someone I thought I needed to witness to would give a message in tongues. It is that kind of thing that makes us cynical. I don't think growing up Pentecostal makes us cynical to the Holy Spirit but it does make us cynical to the people we see operating in the gifts. Why does God use knuckleheads? I have no idea. I ask myself all the time why God is using me in different things. I don't think I am worthy of. It just always confirms to me that God uses us in spite of us.

As a parent and a children's pastor, I have to remember what it is like to grow up Pentecostal. Make sure that kids see that when the Holy Spirit works in my life it is pure and true. I have to teach that the Holy Spirit and its gifts are powerful and holy. I also have to keep reverence toward the Holy Spirit is kept in priority. It is thing that makes us who we are. We should be proud of the gift that God left for us. I hope I remember this even when I feel a moment of sarcasm come upon me.

1 comment: