Last night, I was honored to speak at our youth service because our youth pastor was in Houston for a minister's meeting. His planned speaker was out of town for the week leading up to the service so he was unable to prepare. It left Derek without a speaker for the night. He asked me on Tuesday morning if I could do it. I ribbed him for a little bit about it. I always knew that if it needed to be done I would step up and get it done. That is part of being on a team. Doing stuff like that is part of being a pastor.
Teamwork is a part of life. As a kid, you play sports and learn this. You learn phrases like, their is no I in the word team. You are told the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. In school, they give you projects to work on with other kid's in your classes. You are expected to play well with others. I see a problem with many people today though in ministry and in other fields, teamwork is hard to achieve.
One, people have self esteem issues. People will either think to highly of themselves to stop what they are doing and reach out to others. They get to big and to busy to let worry about others. Some people have self esteem issues the other way and they worry so much that others will hate their ideas. They worry that being compared to someone else they will look bad. People also forget about teamwork because of business. Everyone gets so busy doing their own thing that stopping and combining ideas and effort is almost impossible for many. It is sad because so much more stuff can be accomplished when we work together.
I can honestly tell you the things that have been most rewarding in my job life or ministry have been things that I have been able to work on with friends as a team. Working on overnighters with other kid's pastors, Upward basketball in Cleburne, finishing a room with our youth pastor, and countless other things that I can not take credit for as this was Darrell's thing. I know many of those things would never have happened if others had not said, "hey, I want to be a part". It is silly to take off and try to do anything on your own because you are limited by yourself. When you work as a team, your capacity to do more grows by leaps and bounds.
Today, take a few moments and look at the things in life you want to accomplish. Are you so worried about doing them by yourself that you are going to miss out on being successful? Or are you in a spot that you can ask a friend or be a friend and help? If you help someone or become a part of a team then you will always do so much more.
Amen! Great thoughts Pastor Darrell!
ReplyDelete