Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Date of Infamy

Today is "Pearl Harbor Day", it is "A date that will live in infamy" as President Roosevelt Said. We have plenty of days like that: 9/11 (Twin Towers), 11/22 (JFK's assassination), 1/28 (Challenger Explodes) are just a few that I remember. We remember these days for the wrong reasons. We have personal days of infamy too. Days that loved ones pass away or are diagnosed with an illness, days a relationship crumbles, or just really bad days are all examples. These are scary days that we remember in our history both public and personal. In every one of these cases, people lives are altered and shaped. How they are shaped is up to that person. When effected by such an event we have many options how we can respond.

Some people respond through service. Think about Pat Tillman after the twin towers crashed. He decided to join the Army and defend his country. Even though, he had a great position of influence at home as a football star. He gave a great sacrifice for our countries safety. He gave his life.

Some people respond through anger. Think of Peter and all his actions as Jesus was being tried and tortured. He began the night by cutting off a soldiers ear. He cursed people. He was very angry with the entire situation. It was his way of dealing with the trauma at hand.

I remember sitting in a 6th grade science class in January of 1986 when the challenger exploded over the Atlantic Ocean. Our teacher said, "hey, let's turn the tv on and watch the shuttle take off." It was a sad day. I was shocked. I think it was the only time ever the teacher went without getting on to us for talking as a class because my classmates and I just sat there dazed. Something that had become common place for all of us was now a super sad event.

I remember sitting in the lobby at college, the day the twin towers came down and the plane flew into the pentagon, just anxious about life. My wife was expecting our first child. I had a million things going on in my head. Questions that I had no answers to. The thing I remember about those days is it caused many people to turn to God and pray.

As I look through scripture, I tried to find the one correct way to handle tragedy. I wanted to find if God wanted us to rise up from the ashes and become strong warriors. I wanted to see God say, "Thou shalt not be saddened by the events that have taken place". I wanted to see a specific answer of what to do when the crap hits the fan. An emotion to have when shocked by a single days horrific events. I couldn't find anything like that. I did find two things.

First he said trust me. Acts 1 is very clear. Jesus is taking off and leaving his crew behind. I can see that being a horrible day. Imagine the emotions these guys have gone through in the weeks leading up to the event. One moment your life is rocked because your leader has passed. The next it is saved because your leader is alive. Just as soon as you get used to him being back, he says I am leaving again. He told them "You don't get to know the time, that is just the Father's business" He expected him to have faith. He expected them to put their trust in his promises. When we have a moment of crisis, God wants us to trust him. Trust that his promise to take care of his people is true.

Then he sent them to pray. God expects us to pray in those moments. It almost comes off as a secondary nature. It should. I pray that we don't lose that nature to stop and pray either as a church or a nation. I hope my kid's both personal and church learn that from me. I hope that I live out an example of prayer for them so that when something horrible happens. They turn to God in prayer. I hope that they learn to spend time in prayer for the daily stuff but in a time of crisis, I pray that they pray.

In times of trouble, I don't know if everyone should jump in service. I don't know if everyone is supposed to get angry. I don't know if everyone should be scared or shocked. I don know we need to stop and have faith that God is still in control and pray for everyone that is affected that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment