Yesterday morning, I took my son, Cooper, to the driving range to hit a bucket of balls and practice putting. We'll do that periodically on my day off. We were having a great time. We always save a ball for each of us at the end and say, "Whoever hits their last ball the farthest that person has to buy drinks on the way home". He takes the ball and gives it a big swing and it will go basically down the hill. I will hit it and hopefully it goes farther than his. Then we pretend argue whose ball went the farther. We walk over to the putting area and putt for a little while. Right after we began putting Cooper looked at me and said, "Dad today I'm Tiger Woods". My heart sank.
He has never used Tiger as a person he wants to be or even someone who has made such poor life decisions as tiger as someone he would want to be. It is normal when we are watching or playing football for him (or any other boy) to say, "Hey I'm Tony Romo catch this pass"or "Throw me the ball Dad, I'm Jason Whitten". When we watch Nascar he says he want to be Jeff Gordon or Jimmy Johnson. When we are watching cartoons for him to say, "Dad, I want to be Superman". I have no problem with him saying those things. Those guys may not be living full on Christian witnessing lives, but they aren't all over the news being blasted about sex scandals. He couldn't pick a better golfer to be like.
Yes, Tiger is the best golfer that has lived and my son knows nothing about his life outside of golf. So, why should it bother me that he wants to be like him on the golf course? It's not like he is only picking out Christian people to be like. I guess that is why for me as a Dad I need to watch what I say and do even more. Yes, he may want to be like Tiger, Tony, or Jimmy on the golf course, football field, or race track. I have to make sure that I am the example he wants to be like at home, at work, or with his friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment