Friday, April 16, 2010

Thoughts on Social Networking

I was looking at my Facebook page earlier today. I was reading through people's status updates and liking and commenting on what people are doing. I even took a second to chat with someone. For a second, I thought, man I know more about my friends now than I ever have before. I know where my buddy Rusty is thinking about going to eat. I know what scripture other friends were reading today. I can tell what my other Pastor buddies are preaching about this weekend. It is great. The one thing I do wonder is, are we really connecting with others?

Of my 677 friends, maybe 50 to 100 of them I really ever message or talk to. Even with those, it is hit or miss. I sometimes find myself talking to other people and using a facebook status comment as a, I talked to him equivalent. Is it really? Making a funny comment on someone's status really should not be counted as talking to someone (even thought my Mother-n-law still doesn't understand the difference). Yeah, I know what my friends may be doing more often but I think we miss out on making an effort to check on people. I think we have officially figured out a way to get closer yet become farther away. The shallowness of reading status for many has replaced really getting to know people.

With that being said, I think I need to call a friend.

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Darrell. I've heard lots of people say that they feel this way. It kind of depends on the day as to which way I feel.

    ReplyDelete