Well, yesterday was my official last day as the Kid's Pastor at First Assembly of God in SanAntonio, TX. I am moving on to be the Children's Pastor at Trinity Church in Lubbock. We have had a great 5 1/2 years in SanAntonio. We have seen kid's get saved, filled with the Holy Spirit, and called into ministry. We have made life long friends that we will always consider family. I have seen my own kids grow in every way possible. It has been a great place for us. I am looking forward to what God is going to do with us in Lubbock but it has been a great time to celebrate what we did here. Over the years, I have left a couple of jobs. I have never felt as special leaving a place as I have this time.
We have partied (2 different ones). We have been honored (allowed to share in "Big Church" a couple times about what God is doing). I have cried (mostly when I talked with my leadership team and friends). I have smiled reminiscing. I have played golf (A couple different times too). I have been asked to dinner by numerous people. Visited my favorite donut place in Austin with my closest friends. My family has been treated well. My Pastor, Wayne Clark said, "This is something we should celebrate". So, we have celebrated.
How often do staff pastors leave a church? It is probably more often than what it should be but in instances where God is truly moving someone away it should be celebrated. I think too often we take things personally when it really isn't about us. My pastor could have taken this move as an insult that another church would talk to me or that I have would even want to leave. He could have just said, "Thanks for your service, you got a week". He didn't. He has been gracious and truly excited about our opportunity. I have had pastors act in different ways depending on the situation.
When God does something in our lives that creates transition it should be celebrated. It means God is doing something new. I think about the Angels that first Christmas, they knew something new was happening and let the world know about it. I think about how Jesus started his ministry with changing water into wine at a party. I think about all the times that God did something in the Bible and it was during a celebration time for his people. We have to realize that it isn't always about us.
When transitions happen it is hard because change is hard. It helps when we celebrate those transitions though. It helps when we realize God is in control and has a plan. Sometimes we have to be reminded it isn't all about us. Thanks Pastor Clark for understanding this, teaching this, and living this.
You do know that it gets really cold and snows and sleets in Lubbock, don't you? You will be in my prayers as you begin your new ministry. They are blessed to have you.
ReplyDeleteWhoa! How did I miss this? Y'all moved to Lubbock? Oh wow!!! Exciting!
ReplyDeleteLiz, so far only I moved to Lubbock. It is a great opportunity that God just opened up for us. Marge and the kids will join me later this summer
Delete