This week we tried our Mega Sports Camp off campus. It was a great week. Here at the church we are very limited on what we can do just because we don't have big fields. I found a park with fields for soccer and football. It has black tops for basketball. We put the cheerleaders in a clearing and brought mats for them (on the days it didn't rain) and had the preschoolers at picnic tables. It was a great event. The Texas heat was pretty good to us (a couple of the kids may not agree with that). The kids that came all seemed to have fun. It just makes me think.
As a young Pastor, I was always trying to do stuff that got people on campus. I did and still do a fall festival. I do Easter egg hunts. I have done VBS and other events at church like concerts and such. The thing I was wondering was do people know what those things are?
I noticed as I tagged people in pictures and saw pictures on Facebook from the week that people asked what is VBS? I had people that came up from the neighborhood and ask what we were doing? We invited them to join us. I was very proud of members from our team that talked to people in the neighborhood. Do people in the Post Christian Era still know what we are doing as a church?
Do they see the church as a refuge for hurting or just another building? I think we have to create events like the one we did this week where we are seen by people who don't know what we are doing. We go on mission trips and we go to other areas many times to help out, but the church is becoming a building that people see and not a place that people can come find peace. I think in the day we are in we have to create opportunities to represent the church outside of our church to reach the lost, even kids. It is sad but we are quickly coming to an age when kids won't know what Sunday School is or many of the church standards that were commonplace in our vocabularies. We have to do things outside to draw people inside.
No comments:
Post a Comment