In the afternoons after school, if the weather is nice and we are not rushing off anywhere, I take Cooper outside and throw a baseball with him. Some days we just stay out there till we are tired. Some days we set goals like we will go in once we make 100 throws or catch 50 pop ups. It just depends on what we feel like.
Over the years, this game of catch has developed. It has changed because at first it was us just trying to catch the ball. Now, it is just a couple of guys throwing the ball. Talking about their day. I don't spend my entire time talking to him about how he is throwing. I don't spend the entire time talking. I listen to him. It has turned into something special for me. No television, no Wii, no Minecraft, no friends, and no homework to distract him from the attention that I get. We talk about his day. We talk about what he did at lunch or recess. We talk about what his friends did. He tells me more while we are playing catch than he ever does at the dinner table or watching tv. I have his full attention. In fact, he mentioned not playing baseball this year because basketball has been such a stretch for him. I quickly came up with tons of reasons for him to play. I needed a reason to have him go out and play catch with me. It has truly become something special to me.
I was preparing a lesson the other day to talk about how important quiet times are. I realized that God appreciates our quiet times like I appreciate playing catch with my son. Think about it. We lose all of our distractions. We give our full attention to our heavenly father. We tell him about our needs. We tell him about our lives. We even listen to him during that time. As much as I covet that game of catch, God must truly covet that time we spend with him. I am sure he is disappointed if we skip it. I pray that I never disappoint him. I know you wouldn't want to disappoint him either. Find some time today. Spend some quality time with our great amazing wonderful loving God.
No comments:
Post a Comment