I left last Tuesday to fly to Brussels Belgium on a missions trip. I know Europe is not a usual missions trip place for many. It certainly isn't a place that many of us think of as a place that we need to go do building projects on. Well, my pastor decided it seemed like a great opportunity for us to bless the people that bless others. Convoy of Hope Europe is a pretty new ministry and yet they are based out of a 40 year old building. I went in one room that had a plaque which said it was dedicated in 1975, I promise that room has hardly changed since they dedicated it.
When we arrived we talked to the director of Convoy of Hope Europe, Michael Mcnamee. He is a hilarious little Irish man that when he talks it is like you are listening to the Lucky Charms leprechaun. He told us about the problems they have run into here in Brussels and really throughout Europe. It has broken my heart that a place so rich in church history and that has seen such great moves of God in History is so spiritually lifeless. I believe it is a God thing that we have come to Brussels because I never really understood when people say, "If you look at Europe that is how America will look in 30 years". I have heard that so many times before I just haven't seen what it was like here.
4 of us went out on the first night to find some place that served coffee. We thought it would just be a nice trip to meet some of the people since most of our time here is going to be spent working on a building and not really intermingling. We would look at people and smile no one ever really looked back and smiled at us. I didn't really know what to think of that but we have learned that the people are very private here. I find myself with real struggles about this place. I hurt for these leaders because they are here fighting what seems like an impossible fight. I also know the struggles that we will one day have if we continue down the path that we are on as a nation.
It is a blessing to come here and help this team that is beginning to make an impact on this continent. I hope they stay with it because God is going to bless them for carrying a torch in this part of the world. I don't know how but I believe there is coming a day when they will see revival in this land again. It wouldn't surprise me if it started at a convoy event.
No comments:
Post a Comment